Who said comfort food can't be healthy?
This dish will satisfy your comfort food cravings and touch your taste buds with a hint of sweetness.
Yes, you heard me correct.
Cornbread and chocolate?
I kid you not.
Just one bite and you'll be ready to toast this for breakfast, crumble it atop your salad for lunch and enjoy it as a side dish with dinner.
It's just that good.
Gluten-Free and Vegan Cacao Cornbread
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 1/4 cups ground yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 6 Tbsp. Earth Balance Vegan Butter sticks, melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- Egg substitute for 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup raw cacao nibs
- Pinch of chili powder
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Prepare a 9 x 9 loaf pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In large bowl, combine tapioca flour, cornmeal, brown rice flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Whisk well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine Earth Balance melted butter, almond milk, agave nectar and egg substitute; whisk well to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients; mix well. Add raw cacao nibs, chili powder and cinnamon.
- Transfer mixture into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
Want more from Foodista? Sign up below!