Simit (Turkish Circular Bread)
400 g flour,
225 ml lukewarm water,
2 tbs olive oil,
1 1/3 tsp instant dry yeast,
1 tsp salt,
150 g hulled sesame seeds
40 g molasses
120 g water, boiling
1. In a medium bowl combine the dry ingredients.
2. Make a well in the center and pour the olive oil and lukewarm water into the well.
3. Knead the dough with your hands for 5-10 minutes.
4. Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces.
5. Take two pieces and stretch the dough into thin strips (about 30-35 cm long).
6. Cover the rest of the dough to prevent it from drying out.
7. Place 2 strips side-by-side, pinch the ends. Twist them together and pinch to join the ends.
8. Place the rings on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
9. Let the dough sit in a warm place for 20-30 minutes.
10. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
11. Pour the sesame seeds into the pan and turn the fire on medium heat.
12. Stir the seeds every 4-5 minutes until golden. Set aside.
13. Pour molasses and boiling water into a bowl big enough to fit your rings.
14. Whisk to dissolve the molasses completely.
15. Put the sesame seeds in another bowl.
16. Dip both sides of the rings in the liquid, drain excess moisture, then coat both sides in the sesame seeds.
17. Transfer them to the baking sheets.
18. Bake in preheated oven for about 17 minutes.